Craig Tompkins, Principal
Royal Oak Conservatory of Music
5264-5268 Oakmount Crescent
WHAT THE STUDIO OFFERS
- Singing lessons that are tailored to the goals and desires of each individual student, offered in a stimulating and supportive environment.
- Singing is a basic means of human expression. It is a learned behaviour and each person has the right to learn to sing in order to experience the joy of music as an active participant. My goal is to help people of all ages discover and appreciate the beauty of the music they hold within themselves.
WHAT TO EXPECT
I gauge progress primarily by how easily the voice is produced not just by how many songs are learned or by how high or loud a student can sing. A beautiful tone, expressive delivery and freedom in the body will allow the singer to sing the kind of music they desire and to enjoy it. Ease of production comes from diligent practice of the technical exercises we do at each lesson. This way the voice is built in a systematic manner. Since technique is always changing, we keep cycling back to the same exercises and variations on them to solidify our ever evolving technique. During each lesson at least 1/3 of the time is spent on technical exercises. The remaining time is spent on applying technique to the songs, reviewing already learned material and working on musicianship skills.
The main technical elements that we work on are:
- TENSION FREE BODY
- BREATH MANAGEMENT: easy, silent inhalation; slow controlled exhalation
- RELAXED VOCAL PRODUCTION: onset and release of tone; easily produced, resonant vowels; stable vocal timbres; easily sustained vocal line
- ARTICULATION: clear and intelligible vowels and consonants; meaningful words
- VOCAL AGILITY: rapidly moving passages sung easily with consistent sound
- RANGE: high and low notes sung with ease and evenness of tone
How to get to the studio via transit:
Take Skytrain to Royal Oak Station and walk north (towards the mountains), after crossing Kingsway, continue walking to the intersection of Dover/Oakland and Royal Oak or take #144 from Metrotown to the intersection of Dover/Oakland and Royal Oak. Follow the steps down through the park to Oakmount Crescent and the studio is to your right.
Via car: traveling south on Royal Oak, take the first left turn south of Deer Lake Parkway onto Oakmount Crescent. Traveling north on Royal Oak, take the first right after the intersection of Dover/Oakland and Royal Oak onto Oakmount Crescent. Coming from the west along Kingsway, just past Boundary, turn left onto Grange/Dover/Oakland, turn left at Royal Oak and right onto Oakmount Crescent. From the east along Kingsway, turn right at Royal Oak, cross Dover/Oakland and turn right onto Oakmount Crescent.
Please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org for available lesson times.